Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Family First, Hosting Thanksgiving

So I am officially over a month behind in my attempt to document the important events in our lives. So I'll try to make this short and sweet...okay typically that is not possible in my world, but I'll give it a shot.

We had the McIntyre clan for Thanksgiving at our house this year. We had a full house with Adam's parents here as well as his brother and our sister-in-law and their kids, Keenan and Scott. I don't think there is anything that gets Graden more wound up than knowing that Keenan is coming. He loves her and would jump off the nearest bridge if she told him to.

We had a wonderful meal that for the most part was a success. Linda is the mama chef who did most of the work. I had serious turkey anxiety and wasn't about to venture into that territory on my own. I happened to see Oprah the day before and thought that the marinade that her personal chef shared with the audience would be a hit. The turkey turned out great, but did not look like those nice plump, juicy birds you see in the magazines. Just take a look at the picture...will work on aesthetics next year.

I was crazy enough to think that I would make Linda's homemade mac n cheese that both of her boys die for knowing that it really can never be duplicated. No one messes with mama's original recipes. I actually wish that I had never made it because now I know just how much cheese, butter, and whole milk is involved...true version of heart attack on a plate, but one of the best things you have ever put in your mouth.

The kids had a blast running circles around each other, torturing our pet hamster Quio, and just being together. We love our niece and nephew and only wish they lived closer! Funny little story about the hamster. Graden loves having her, but Adam secretly (or not so secretly) wants to set her free! The darn thing is nocturnal obviously. Usually when we have guests I remember to take out her wheel so that she doesn't awaken anyone in the middle of the night with her constant exercise. My mother and father-in-law along with our nephew were soundly sleeping one night when I heard that darn wheel squeaking. I crept in the room, removed the wheel and went about my business. Linda came down the next morning cracking up. Apparently, the little bugger ended up in her suitcase during the night rummaging around looking for something tasty to chew on. I guess when I took the wheel out of the cage, the hamster came along with it!

My friend Larisa took some family photos for us that weekend so that we could surprise Linda with a new picture for over their mantle for Christmas. They turned out really good and we are so lucky that she was willing to do it!


We are thankful for all of our many blessings...we continue to pinch ourselves when reflecting on how lucky we are to have such wonderful children, parents, siblings, and friends!

1 comment: